Saturday, July 17, 2004

well, ok.

it was a good game. for a while. and then it wasn't, but, you know, we'll always have the first five innings.

backing up a bit..

I arrived extra super early to find that nobody felt like taking batting practice today. thanks guys. I sure am glad kauffman opens 2 hours early on weekends instead of 1 ½ hours. really worked out well.

I did get in on the shirts, though. X-large and medium. quite an array of choices. I'll see what I can do to shrink that XL on down to an L, I suppose. though the mediums were totally a better shade of "powder blue".

so, with nothing upon nothing to provide entertainment at kauffman for two hours, I wandered
aimlessly around. just wandered. around. here. and there. around again. there's tha...oh, seen it before. hey, wha...oh, nevermind. as much as I like kauffman, the entertainment options are definitely lacking. I think its biggest problem is also what kind of makes it a nice facility – there's absolutely nothing around it. though, amazingly, it still gets to be a gigantic clusterfuck to get in and out of with only a small number of people. that's what's disappointing.  there are no little restaurants or bars or, I don't know, arcades or anything, as the stadiums are a gigantic entity unto themselves. yet the traffic crew can't get people in and out in any sort of sensible pattern, and I always have to take a mystical journey all the way around arrowhead when the parking lot I'm trying to get to is, seriously, a baseball's throw away. I'm assuming the parking lot people quit after pretty much every game and they have to get an entirely new staff in 24 hours.  because that's the only thing that keeps me from making a mess when my head explodes after yet another parking person mindlessly thumbs right and waves towards their face while jawing with another of the orange-jacketed automatons.

this is not, however, an endorsement for a downtown baseball stadium. yes, downtown is dead as shit, and I would love to see it revitalized with something. just not the royals. on my way to the stadium, I got stuck in downtown traffic – at 9:30 A.M. on a Saturday. downtown is always stuck. the royals don't need downtown. they just need to come up with better stuff than
their nothing.

as far as the game, I got stuck sitting in front of this group of college-aged, drinking, cussing, church-going dorks. who never shut up. it was a weird combination that proved super annoying. my god.

the royals looked lost on offense. they were totally off-balance the entire day. gobble did pretty well, but after shutting the twins out through five, pitched a ROYALS (tm) 6th inning, complete with a couple doubles and a couple home runs. all bunched together. amazing how other
teams are always better at that than us.

well, ok, it's hard to bunch 1 hit. but we did have a run finally roll across the plate, and, hey, we made a couple errors, so we at least didn't have that ugly 0 at the end of our box score! yep, 1-1-2.

anyway, the shirts are big.

No comments: