Friday, April 15, 2005

been an odd week here at the domicile of your humble Royal Blues host, which is about all I can say for my slightly-extended absence. though, it's not like there's been an abundance of quality royals listening to occupy my time. such is the business of free royals writing..

in an effort to encourage conciseness – on my part, of course – I've just about deleted a good four paragraphs worth of crap. seeing as how even *I* didn't feel like reading through them.

basically, we've dispelled of all positive spring training talk and actually seen the royals perform. hey, there were a couple good performances mixed in! the rest...well, you know.

honestly, at this point in the evening, I've already been through a number of quality local hand-crafted brews that I lugged back from michigan (home of the goddamn 10-cent bottle deposit I'll never get back..), so I'm just gonna plow through these and try to get back with you once I've caught up again..

Kansas City 6, Los Angeles Anaheim California 2

Royal Record: 2-2

denny bautista (apparently) pitched great. one of those games I didn't get to hear or see – you'll notice that is a theme for most of these recaps here. mike sweeney with a couple RBIs, paul byrd sucking – isn't that what was supposed to happen? paul byrd was never that good; I'm glad the royals didn't listen to some "fans" and refused to re-sign him. can't say so much for lima. at least he has energy, though. I guess.

Disneyland 8, Kansas City 3

Royal Record: 2-3

why are "spot starters" always so effective against the royals? then again, why are starters in general effective? oh yeah, we can't buy hitters.

lima, uh, sucked. you know, the thing is, I LIKE jose lima. for the most part. he's just one of those guys that will get bombed sometimes and have some strangely effective starts other times. that's royals baseball for you – as it is right now. lima was unnecessary this season, but they signed him, so I pretty much resigned myself to him early on. really, allard just needed somebody with a little bit of name and advertising potential, so I know why he signed him. it still doesn't mean we needed him.

Kansas City 8, CA L.A. Anaheim 3

Royal Record: 3-3

one of the things I like (well, the only thing I like concerning baseball when I'm out of town) is the excitement of waking up the next morning (or, you know, coming home late from a night on the town) and tapping my foot while waiting for the internet to fire up so I can see what the royals did. you brace yourself for a 10-2 loss, and slap the desk when you know that brian anderson is pitching against bartolo colon and the royals win 8-3. I couldn't believe this score! gotay came up big – hey, he played? what, did shawn camp pitch? for all I know, pickering smashed the ball! what, no? oh, emil brown did? you know, I'm starting to like this guy. honestly, having watched, um, ZERO spring training games, and never hearing of the guy before, I was pretty much one of those least qualified to comment on him. but, at the same time, how could I have ever known anything? from what I've heard so far (I still haven't actually *seen* a royals game this year), he sounds like a really solid player. so, good for him. I love when guys like that finally make it. a very solid game here (from the text, anyway).

Seattle 8, Kansas City 2

Royal Record: 3-4

quite an opener. immediately after clearing the security check at the beginning of the terminal at detroit metro airport, I looked in from the opening of the "fox sports" bar-ish garbage to try to see the royals score. I proceeded to watch the slowest crawl ever for a couple minutes, then gave up to ride the terminal-tram to one end of the airport, so I could walk all the way back to the beginning and kill some time. I had 1 ½ hours to kill – after my tram ride and walk back, I had a measly 1 1/4 hours to go. in case you've never been to the new detroit airport, there's subway-ish things (that run above-terminal) that take you from the middle to the end, since it's a huge terminal and lazy people hate to do things like, oh, exercise-ish walking.

when you walk from gate to gate, there are some cool moving sidewalks (cue "99th floor" for 60's garage rock fans ((ah, ok, for everyone actually reading this, nevermind – though, if you followed the link, ZZ top really has nothing to do with this)) -- 60's garage is just one of my things, you know) that allow you to feel like you're walking faster than humanly possible for a moment. well, after traipsing across a bunch of those, i stopped for a moment at my eventual gate. just outside of it was one of the numerous "sports" "bars" i swear i had walked by on a previous journey across the terminal...and happened upon a group of mariners fans sitting at the "bar" (hey, one of them had a hat, and there was a seattle flight close-by – I just assumed). anyway, from what I could tell while I was looking at scores, I had heard, "yeah, they lost big today. at kansas city."

I thought, "yes! they won again!"

after strolling through the terminal for a while, I finally exhausted myself and stopped back by a more empty version of the same bar to check the sports crawl.

Seattle 8, Kansas City 2


"goddammit," I thought. "ah well, I have a flight to catch."
that game sucked, I guess.

Seattle 2, Kansas City 1

what a lame fuckin game! greinke good for 6, cerda gives up 2 (macdougal lamely kicking everyone in the nuts by wild-pitching in the first run), KC finally scoring ONE run when it doesn't matter nearly as much...this is the kind of game I hate, and...fuck I hated this game.

Seattle 10, Kansas City 2

this is the kind of game that doesn't make me feel bad about drinking at lunch. shit, I've had such an odd week of vacation and working and a "sick" day and working and changed flight plans and...oh, suffice it to say that, while drinking at work is never bad, the royals are a lot of the time. this game was sad.

I will be back with news on tonight's game (royals vs. tigers) and my new venture into the KC adult baseball league...hopefully sometime soon, too!

damn, that was long.

exhaustedly,
joe blow

No comments: