Friday, April 22, 2005

Minnesota 10, Kansas City 9 (10 innings)
Royal Record: 5-11

I don't think I really want to take more of this. honestly, it's not worth it. it's amazing how one team can be so remarkably inferior in so many different things. while it's true that no one expected anything of this season (maybe the royals should have petitioned the league to just take this year off and return next year recharged and more mature), it's beyond the point of simple frustration. there is literally no chance for this team. I just don't see how every top draft pick, every minor leaguer hyped to us, every free agent signing, everything about this team can turn out *so* wrong. all I know is it's something I can count on every time.

yesterday, I watched a group of professional athletes – we're not talking the laughably bad baseball players that were the "superstars" at my high school, these are guys that are supposed to be infinitely better in every aspect of the game – repeatedly fail at plays that my adult baseball league team full of junior varsity rejects make pretty routinely. and you know we, um, pay to play in a league full of nobodies.

why watch the royals this year? I'm as true-blue as they come, and I'd never bail on my team, but it doesn't mean I have to care as passionately as I have. if this is the year we finally hit our youth movement head-on, why are at least half of the positions on every given day manned by long-time veteran journeymen and one high-priced slugger? our current hopes are pinned on a group of rookies and sophomores who so far either fail just as spectacularly as they succeed, or never even catch of a glimpse of success. it's not fun to watch, because you know the outcome. the royals are the incubation period: you baby the egg, treat it tenderly, nurture the new hatchling through the tough first few years – feeding it, wrapping its broken wing, building its strength, and preparing it for the day it will finally take to the air. of course it's a thing of beauty when all your work has paid off and you finally witness that first majestic flight..

…until, instead circling around and returning home, your baby sails off into the sunset with another flock. then, time to start all over again!

I hate MLB.

I'm glad I have my own baseball to pay attention to this summer, because I really don't think I have it in me to care as much about this team as I'd love to. I think I'll write more about my own team – I know, not interesting to anyone else, and I'd honestly hate to lose the three of you that read this – but if the royals are all I write about, I might as well shut it down now. maybe I'll get back to my sorely neglected record collection. at least my favorite bands and records never turn to shit just because they can't afford to record with high-dollar engineers and equipment. sure wish I could say the same thing about my favorite baseball team..

the royals will still occupy much of this space, but…goddamn. that's about all.

dejectedly,
Joe Blow

1 comment:

Joe Blow said...

uh huh. i think i'd rather shut it down now than risk seeing what they'll come up with if we let this team play the rest of the season. if they can live up to their potential, we might get to see something more embarassing than anything we imagined during the offseason..