Wednesday, April 27, 2005

JBABL (Joe Blow's Adult Baseball League) Update #1

Oh yeah, in the interest of…well, me, here are the final pre-season stats (by my calculations) for the 3 exhibition games I played in:

Batting Average: .222
On-Base Percentage: .364
Slugging Percentage: .222
OPS: .586

awesome, yeah, I know. to be fair, it's the first three games of baseball I've played in honestly 10 years. heck, last time I played, the kids could barely even figure out how to hold a curveball, let alone get it to spin.

Game by game:

1: 1-5 (infield single, 2 Ks, two ground-outs)
2: 0-3 (1 BB, 1 K, pop-out, ground out)
3: 1-2 (1 BB, bloop single, fielder's choice), 2 runs scored


I actually broke my metal bat hitting that rocket bloop single. ok, so the cap came out. "broken-metal-bat" single just sounds better. and, as a defense for the first game, the strike-outs were pretty cheap: the lone umpire was calling balls and strikes from somewhere behind the side of the pitcher's mound, and one of the strikeouts came on consecutives curves that were really low.

On the plus side, I've made zero errors in the field so far. I've played 3 innings at 3rd base and 18 innings in left field. I'm really digging left field – in fact, I'd be more than happy to play there every inning of every game. my arm was really sore last sunday, due to trying to throw too hard the day before, but I sure as shit wasn't telling anybody. trust me, the easiest way for a non-hitting new guy on a team to grab a piece of the bench is to let the yokels that run the team know you're hurt. it'll get better.

tonight's the first actual game. I'm excited – the first real game I've had in a long while..

now it's just time to hit the fuckin ball.

Anxiously,
Joe Blow

No comments: